This is the recipe I made for our delicious lunch on our Mini Retreat. Everyone loved it! Easy and simple to make.
- 1 tbsp Coconut oil
- 2 medium onion finely sliced
- 2 large garlic cloves, peeled and finely sliced
- A thumb of ginger, peeled and finely choped
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- smoked paprika to taste
- ½ tsp dried chilli flakes (optional)
- 400g can of chopped tomatoes
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and cut into chunks
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 1 small aubergine
- 65g of apricot chopped or raisins
- 400g can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 200g dried of lentils (green or split red lentils)
- juice 1 large orange, plus peel, thickly sliced with a vegetable peeler
- ½ small pack coriander, roughly chopped, to serve
- Heat the oil in a large flameproof casserole or saucepan and gently fry the onion for 10-15 mins until well softened, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic and ginger and cook for 2 mins more.
- Stir in the spices and cook for 2 mins, stirring occasionally. Add the chopped tomatoes, peppers, chickpeas, lentils, aubergine, sweet potatoes, orange peel and juice, and 400ml/14fl oz water and bring to a simmer. Cook for 15 mins, adding a splash of water if the stew looks too dry, and stir occasionally until the potatoes are softened but not breaking apart and lentils are cooked.
- Remove the pan from the heat and ladle the stew into bowls. Scatter with coriander and serve with brown or red rice.